Friday, August 14, 2009

Seeing Clearly

A recent experience has helped me to better understand what the Apostle Paul meant when he told the Corinthians that now we see God "through a glass darkly," but that someday we'll be able to see Him clearly.

It's sort of like having cateracts, then having eye surgery.

For several years my eyesight had been getting fuzzier and fuzzier. Then, on Monday I had cateract surgery on my right eye. I can already see better, and can hardly wait to get the left eye done in two weeks.

I was surprised to learn, though, that I'm now walking around with a little sheet of plastic in my eye.

I'd always thought that a cataract was a growth in the eye. But it's a cloudy, or yellowed, lens! No wonder I was always cleaning my glasses and wondering why there continued to be a film over them. It wasn't the lens in my glasses that were dirty, but the lens in my eyes. So, the surgeon removed the dirty, foggy, natural lens in my right eye and replaced it with a clear plastic one.

It's wonderful to know that someday God will replace my foggy spiritual lens with clean, clear spiritual "lens" so I can see Him clearly. So I can know Him even as He knows me. (I Corinthians 13:12)

No comments: